Looking for a fun craft to do this winter while it’s cold outside? Consider string art! After hearing a lot about this craft, I recently attempted the activity myself & I must say, it was one of the most interesting I have engaged in this winter. Now keep in mind, it does involve some tools, (wood plaque, hammer & nails) but the finished product is well worth it. If you think you might be interested in partaking in this adventurous craft, I have listed the steps for doing so as well as pictures below.
What you will need:
- Wood plaque
- String (color of your choice)
- Paint (optional)
- Patience (🙈😂)
–You can find most of these materials at a hardware store, craft store, or super center such as Hobby Lobby, Walmart, or JoAnns. After gathering materials, see instructions below for step by step on completing the craft. —
- You will need to find a design that you wish to make. I looked at some samples on Pinterest & after careful consideration, I chose batman. (Anyone who knows me, wouldn’t find this surprising as I am slightly a batman fanatic.)
- After deciding what design you would like to do, print out a picture of that design and make sure it will fit on your wood plaque.
- After deciding what design you are doing, you may paint your wood plaque any color you wish that corresponds to the design. For example; I knew I was going to be doing batman so I painted my wooden plaque yellow & chose black string. (This step is optional as you are not required to paint your plaque but it does make the finished product look more polished & who doesn’t love painting?!)
- After allowing the paint on your wooden plaque to dry, you may place your printed design on the plaque & begin to hammer nails into it creating the outline of your design. (Make sure to leave the nails sticking out of the wood at least a quarter inch, DO NOT hammer them all the way into the wood.)
- After you have completed the outline carefully pull the paper away from the nails simply leaving your painted plaque exposed with your design outlined in nails.
- At this time you may begin the most fun part of the craft which is wrapping the string around the nails. First and foremost, make sure to go around your entire outline and then begin stretching the string in various patterns across your design making sure to stay inside the outline.
- Once you have gotten your outline filled in completely with string, you may lap it around a nail, tie it off & tada! You have a finished string art craft to show off to the world!
Hope you enjoyed this craft, subscribe to my blog (Sassy Simple Sha) for more posts like this one to be sent to your email! Have a great day & happy crafting!